top of page

Preparatory School Department​

Welcome to Liberty Academy's Preparatory School Department!

The preparatory school has been acclaimed as a “gold standard” school.  It offers a programme of excellence, which takes a holistic approach to education. The students learn and develop through programmes such as: academia, sports, performing and visual arts, character development and spiritual guidance. 

The Preparatory is divided into three departments:

- Kindergarten Department (K3, K4 & K5)

- Junior Department (Grades 1-6)

- Special Needs Department, which is comprised of 6 classes

(for students with mild – moderate learning challenges) along with three (3) Intermediate Classes and a Resource Room.

Our student to teacher ratio is 15: 1 in the Kindergarten Department and 20:1 in the Junior Department.  In our Special Education Department, the ratios are 10: 1 in classes serving students with mild to moderate learning challenges and 6:1 in classes with students who need more attention.

Liberty Preparatory School’s curriculum is broad based, well-balanced, and in keeping with the National Curriculum. The Abeka Curriculum is also used in some of the classes. We currently maintain an overall academic average of 86% in the Junior School and Kinder Department. In addition, 75% of our graduates are placed in Traditional High Schools each year. The other 25% are usually placed in private institutions and specialized schools.
Our programmes are enhanced with co-curricular activities including Chess, the Performing Arts, Field Trips, Sporting Activities, Clubs and Societies. Our students have  received numerous awards and medals for performances in Local and International Competitions, including gold and silver medals for Drumming and Recorder Playing in  “The World Championships of the Performing Arts” as well as, gold and silver medals in 'Festival' for Drama and Music. Other areas of accomplishment have included the award of a government scholar based on the GSAT results, and also outstanding performances in chess, tennis, swimming, gymnastics, debating, Information Technology and Special Olympics.

The establishment of an Exceptional Needs Department in 1995 grew out of the need to meet the learning challenges being experienced by a number of the students.  It caters mainly to students with mild to moderate disabilities including autism, learning disabilities, language disorders, mental delays and global developmental delays.

Our Junior Department also has a few students with exceptional needs. These classes are supported by Teachers’ Aides and Student Assistants (Shadows). Seventy percent (70%) of the students in the mainstream population are in regular education, while the others have mild learning challenges.
To date, our inclusive programme has facilitated high levels of mastery of concepts. In 2011, Liberty Academy was nominated for an American Chamber of Commerce Award for Excellence in Cultural Awareness. Furthermore, in 2012, the school was presented with the award for Excellence in Special Education at the Inaugural Disability Friendly Awards and Gala. It was presented for its pioneer work in Inclusive Education in Jamaica.

Liberty ensures that each student who is enrolled, is given the opportunity to discover his/her true potential, and is set on a path to “Achieve God’s Standards” for life. 

Mrs. Suzanne Williams

Executive Director

bottom of page